Saturday, January 22, 2011

Aussie Aussie Aussie...

I had the privilege of spending 3 hours yesterday volunteering at HQ for the QLD Toy Appeal.

And what an experience - I'm so glad I did it.

The whole time I was there, I was going back and forth from trestle tables to the pallet crates carrying books, toys, toiletries and clothe, trying to fill up every cubic mm of those crates.

And each time I thought we had a table cleared, it would fill up again as people kept coming with bags and boxes of things they can do without.


When I signed up to volunteer, I had no idea what to expect and was just blown away by the response they've had - as are the organisers.

They were aiming to get 100 of these crates filled - they're now thinking it will get close to 500.


I've never seen so many stuffed toys in all my life! Not to mention baby clothes!

As one of the organisers said - it makes you realise how much stuff you have that you don't need.

I hope this encourages people to donate regularly to their local op shop, now they've seen how easy it is and how good it makes you feel.




Even as I write this, I'm getting chills running up & down my body, just as I did each time I looked out at the sea of pallet crates that's shown in the photo below.



While it's been the worst experience for so many, it has also brought out the best in people.

Congratulations to every single Adelaidean who emptied their cupboards to help out their QLD mates.

It's that good old Aussie spirit shining through...








No comments:

Post a Comment