Thursday, December 16, 2010

Always look on the bright side of life...

Monty Python were definitely onto something there (and sorry Pop if they're not the original lyricists, you'll tell me if that's the case!!!)

Anyway, I thought that after my sad post, that tonight was the perfect night for a double header.

(It's taking all of my willpower not to write out the baseball scene from Ferris Bueller's...ok a little bit won't hurt...sa-wing batter...Kennedy, Kennedy Kennedy...ok I'll stop now!)

Back to the point of this post - there are always two sides to the coin, and in the past 4 years in particular, I've learnt the huge benefits of always looking on the bright side of life.

My Mum has laughed at me before, saying 'you love finding a positive in everything don't you?!' and it's true - I really, really do.

Because it makes me feel good!

As I heard on good old Hayhouse Radio the other day - it's not an event that changes people, it's the meaning they attach to it.

Two people can be caught in a traffic jam - one gets angry, the other doesn't let it phase them...I know who I'd rather be!

So why not try to make a positive out of your day? 

See mistakes as opportunities to learn, a change in plan as something better being on it's way. Or in short - just look for the positive aspects of each situation.

I'm a big fan of the  good old 'Attitude to Gratitude' - it's amazing how you can get an instant lift from thinking of all of the things that you're thankful for throughout the day. (My Grandma was definitely onto something when she thanked God for everything!)

I find that once I start, I can get on a real roll with it, and then realise that I've actually had a pretty good day all in all.

They don't have to be earth shattering like winning the lottery or making your first million - it can be as simple as being glad that you got up out of bed, or that you had enough milk for breakfast, that you had comfy clothes on or that you got a great parking spot.

The point is, the more you do it, the better you feel...the better you feel, the more you'll want to do it!

It's a great thing to do before you go to bed, and I highly recommend scribbling 5 or 10 things down - writing always makes it more powerful because you look at it from a different perspective, but it's cool to look back after a couple of days, weeks, months and see how much great stuff you have in your life!

Anyway, how about I start. I'm grateful/thankful/glad/stoked that:

  • I love living
  • I have beautiful, loving and supportive family and friends
  • My husband likes to give me surprises - hello massive bunch of flowers and beautiful purse this week! Love you Mr Clifford!
  • We had a delicious dinner at Star House - and we're now recognised as regulars! The waiter even asked if he'd see us before Christmas!!
  • We found the perfect Christmas presents
  • I had warm sunshine on my back today
  • I saw the big Christmas tree all lit up in Victoria square...oh how I love lights! (see pic below)
  • There was a gorgeous pink sky tonight, so tomorrow will  be a cracker
  • I had a great, relaxing night at yoga - I surprised myself with a few poses!
  • 2010 has been an amazing year! Full of letting go, lessons and love!
  • I wore my awesome green necklace today
  • I've taken the plunge and have gotten my blog up and running
  • I am now so comfortable with sharing my thoughts with my family and friends (and anyone you want to send it on to!)
  • I laughed a lot at work today...and had time for the occasional jig!!
  • I sit by an open window at work
  • My little car got me to and from Adelaide nicely
  • I've got a fabulous weekend of fun and friends ahead of me - then we're on holidays next week, woop woop!
  • I have an iPhone!!!
And I could go on and on, but you get the point.

Anyway try it for yourself and see how you go...



No comments:

Post a Comment